The Cloisters


A branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art devoted to art of medieval Europe, located in Fort Tryon Park, Upper Manhattan overlooking the Hudson River.

Telephone: 212-923-3700

Bus: M4 to the last stop.
Subway: A to to 190 St, then M4 bus one stop to the museum.

From Metropolitan Museum of Art (Fifth Ave building):
Walk one block east to Madison Ave and take the M4 bus to the last stop (Fort Tryon Park–The Cloisters). Or walk to 86th St & Fifth Ave for the westbound M86 bus to Central Park West & 86th St. Transfer to uptown C train to 125 St, cross platform for uptown A express to 190 St, then M4 bus to the last stop.

Suggested admission for adults is * $12, $7 for students and senior citizens. Admission is free for children under 12 with an adult. Your MMA button will be honored for same-day admission at both the main building and The Cloisters.

9:30am to 5:15pm (March-October)
9:30am to 4:45pm (November-February)
Closed Mondays (except on certain holidays), New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas.

In 1925, John D. Rockefeller Jr. donated a large sum to the Metropolitan Museum to purchase the George Grey Barnard collection of medieval sculptures and architectural remains. In 1930, when Rockefeller decided to give to the City of New York an estate he owned in the area which is now Fort Tryon Park, he reserved the northern part for the new Cloisters. The building, opened in 1938, incorporates architectural components of five French monasteries.

Its most notable example of medieval European art – the Unicorn Tapestries. The museum also features gardens planted according to horticultural information found in medieval treatises and poetry, garden documents and herbals, and medieval works of art, such as tapestries, stained-glass windows, and column capitals. The collection dates from about 800AD with particular emphasis on the 12th through 15th century.

Nearby Places of Interest:

  1. Fort Tryon Park
  2. Harlem

Allow a minimum of 4 hours to visit The Cloisters (including travel time to and from midtown). Because of its landmark status, The Cloisters has somewhat limited accessibility for visitors with mobility impairments. Please call (212) 923-3700, ext. 7130, for more information and to make arrangements. Wheelchairs are available for borrowing. The Cloisters offers highlights tours and garden tours, as well as other educational programming for adults, families, students, and teachers. Almost all of these programs are free with Museum admission. Dining Facilities: The Trie Café, located in the covered walkway surrounding the Trie Cloister, serves light fare and snacks Tuesday–Sunday from 10:00am to 4:30pm, May through October.

* Prices subject to change

Comments are closed.